“Arts education is crucial in developing well-rounded students. In addition to fostering physical fitness and an active lifestyle, exposure to the study and practice of dance helps students gain valuable skills in critical thinking and creative problem solving. Through ongoing exposure, “academic research shows a clear, positive and demonstrable link between involvement in the arts and students’ academic achievement, engagement with learning, motivation, self-esteem, and the ability to collaborate with others.” (Silicon Valley Community Foundation Arts & Culture Issue Brief, 2007)
Los Gatos Ballet is committed to fostering the love of dance and making it accessible to all age groups and socio-economic backgrounds. It is our goal to provide high quality, in-depth educational and enrichment opportunities for the community.
Community Matinees are provided to promote dance in the community for all ages and socio-economic backgrounds. Nobody should be left out of this joyful experience. Each year LGB offers schools, seniors and other groups discounted or free tickets to attend full-length ballet productions. Los Gatos Ballet’s Outreach program provides supplemental study guides and lecture demonstrations in the schools prior to the groups attending the performance.
Leaps and Bounds is a dance-in-schools program that was developed to introduce ballet to children who might not otherwise have the opportunity. The program includes the following benefits:
- Teaches children ballet basics: elementary stretches and steps, simple choreography, dance vocabulary, musical timing and rhythms
- Collaborates with the school’s performing arts teacher to integrate ballet instruction into the performing arts classroom curriculum
- Incorporates age-appropriate California State Performing Arts Standards into instruction
- Provides the school children with positive role models, along with giving the dancers the opportunity to gain mentoring experience
- Offers children who rarely go on field trips the opportunity to attend the LGB performances
- Builds relationships with classroom teachers and parents with the future goal of finding ways to fully integrate dance and arts education into the classroom and the children’s every day lives
If you are an educator or activities director and would like your organization to participate in or receive information on any of our programs including the Community Matinees or our Leaps and Bounds program, please contact Los Gatos Ballet at 408-399-7577 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.